John Kane wrote:

Path=C:\Perl\bin\;c:program
files\imanemagick-6.2.5_q16;C:\texmf\miktex\bin;c:\WINDOWS\system32;C:WINDOWS;C;\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:Program
Files\Common Files\MDL Shared\ISIS

I'm getting a bit out of sync with what you put in your replies to Stephen, but I think you said that the MinSYS bin directory (c:\msys\1.0\bin?) was on the LyX internal path (Edit->Preferences->Paths->PATH prefix in LyX). If not, it would be a good idea to add it there and click Save. In any event, it's probably a good idea to add it to your system path (this is why 'sh configure' failed). To do that right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click on the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables, highlight PATH in either the user variables window or the system variables window, click edit, prepend 'c:\msys\1.0\bin;' to the path, and then OK your way back to reality. The only difference between user variables and system variables is that the former adds it to the path only when you are logged in and the latter adds it when anybody is logged in. Once done, you should be able to run 'sh configure' from a DOS prompt in the appropriate directory.

I'd forgotten there even were things like Paths. I
have not seen a DOS prompt since I bought a Mac back
in 1988.

Well, there's your problem. Macs stimulate use of the right hemisphere of your brain, probably to the detriment of the left hemisphere. Windows requires extensive use of the left hemisphere, which among other things controls the utterance of foul language.

BTW is there some way to pipe that DOS
stuff to a text file?  I copied that Path info by
hand.

Yes, you can issue a command such as 'path > mypath.txt' (of course, then you have to figure out where mypath.txt wound up). Also, if you need to copy stuff (such as error messages) out of a DOS window, you can left-click the "system" button in the far left corner of the title bar (where the Apple icon would be if this were a Mac, only this looks like a C:\ prompt), then click Edit->Mark, highlight what you want and hit Enter. That copies the highlighted text to the clipboard, from whence it can be pasted into, among other things, a mail message.

Back to the textclass “XX” is not found messages. Are you getting that when you start LyX, when you try to create a new document in LyX, or what? (I'm trying to reconcile that with the fact that the TeX Information window shows them.) Have you tried Edit->Preferences->Reconfigure in LyX (after which you have to close and restart LyX to benefit from any newly found classes)? This does the same as 'sh configure', except you don't get any feedback about how things are going.

Another related question: if you click Help->LaTeX configuration in LyX, what do you see for the following: the date the file was generated (third line of the file); the date of the LaTeX version (section 1); and which standard classes were found (section 3 -- each class has a Found: yes/no entry)?

That's likely to be a consequence of not installing
rather than an  indication of the root cause.  Does it give any
indication prior to that of why it's not installing?

Not that I have seen so far. It looks okay to me (but
what do I know?) until it simply reports that it
cannot add the file association.  The log is at
http://ca.geocities.com/jrkrideau/LyX/GSinstallscript.pdf
if you want to take a look.

Will check this when time permits (i.e., after pretending to do some work).

(On a side note, have> you considered sacrificing a small furry animal to the gods of computing before installing things? Works for me.)

Small furry animal be damned, I'm considering
something like a black bear.  I'm a bit too far south
for a moose.

Just as well, antlers don't burn well. Just avoid endangered species. Wolverines always make good sacrifices, by the way (not to mention they're not of much use otherwise).

Paul