On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 11:26:36AM +0000, Angus Leeming wrote:
> Helge Hafting wrote:
> > Still, I really liked the way lyx 1.3 starts in less than a second.
> > Lyx 1.4 needs 5 seconds to start, even with no document and
> > debugging turned off.
>
> You are probably compiling with g++'s debug iterators. Try recompiling
> having configured with --disable-stdlib-debug and things should be an
> order of magnitude faster.

With --disable-stdlib-debug and -O2 optimization, it still takes
3.6 seconds to start lyx-1.4 - without any document.  Just to get
the empty main window.  This on a 1.8 GHz opteron, which compiles
lyx way faster than an 2.4GHz pentium M does.  Of course lyx started
from cache, I started it several times in a row to rule out disk
slowness.

No kind of document/paragraph problems - this is the startup time
without a document.  And probably not a qt problem either, as
lyx 1.3 uses qt and starts in less than a second.

_Editing_ with lyx 1.4 is fine, except from the occational bug.
The startup time is not - it has definitely regressed, and
I wonder if it has to be that way. What could lyx be up to _before_
l�oading documents?

Helge Hafting