I know Scientific workplace from my MS thesis: It's
reasonably well, but sometimes you need to tweak the
Latex code anyway. For some reason you should be
extremely careful doing that, because it tried to eat
my document a couple of times when I was trying to
write the abstract and bibliography. Thanks God I had
multiple backups :). It sometimes does not cooperate
well with other editors, and I guess that's the reason
for incompatibility. You're right in that, it's not
very reliable for sharing documents (at least I feel
so).
This is true even when you save the file as portable
LaTeX and avoid all those TCI macros. Anyway, it's in
fact a good piece of software, but if someone requests
hundreds of dollars for something, they should be
ready for all kinds of moaning and whining (like mine
:)). And to be fair I used it a couple of years ago,
so probably newer versions may be more robust.

I don't know if you mean that, but I tried to set up
emacs and auctex with preview mode but for some reason
emacs keeps freezing and crushing on my machine: I'm
not a big fan of it anyways:). Therefore I couldn't
get to the preview mode at all:). Searching for a
solution, I've seen an article on the web which
mentioned LyX in just one line (it was about Vim vs.
Emacs; namely something alien for a Windows user like
me:)

LyX fares well as the time being though, and I'm
fairly impressed.

Nusret

http://farechase.yahoo.com