Jörg Zastrau wrote:

Let me clarify this: Normally the AFPL Ghostscript Installer/Deinstaller
works as expected.

Yes this is works for me too, also when I used the one year old GPL GS 8.15 and AFPL GS 8.14 installers.

However I was able to reproduce a situation where the
registry entrys where not removed by GS 8.51. This involved installing a
previous version of GS (8.0.0) as a normal user (partly failed) and then
installing and deinstalling GS 8.51 with root privileges and a few cups of
coffee.

OK I know now why:
The uninstaller of GS deletes only the first entry of the registry. That means it uses the EnumRegKey command tocheck for the version number. In your case it finds "8.0.0" so this one is deleted and the entry of "8.51" is still in the registry.

I notice that under Windows the presence/absense of a gs installation is
mostly correct under the systems software management system "system
settings -> software". My guess is that the proper way of detecting
installed software involves some other database or other entries in the
registry other than "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/AFPL Ghostscript".

I'll try if I can locate an installed GS via the registry key
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\"
only if this was successful I'll read the path from
"HKLM/SOFTWARE/AFPL Ghostscript".
This should fix these problems.

thanks and regards
Uwe