Paul Johnson wrote:

What is the best advice now for LyX users who want paragraphs shaped like this

    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
         XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

But we want to control both the indentation of the lines 2-3 as well as the negative indentation of line 1. A negative indentation on the first line of an itemized list would be about right for this.

Searching in the LyX archive, I find that I asked this before. This message that Herbert Voss sent in response to my question in 2001:

http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg08531.html

Is there simplification available now?

I notice the tips & tricks page is gone now, as this link no longer leads anywhere:

http://www.lyx.org/help//layouts/layout.html#hangindent

I am wishing there were a simpler solution *within LyX* to do this, without creating a layout file or such, because I primarily need this for use of students in our computer lab. I've been pushing them to use LaTeX and LyX, and if I say "that is not possible" they just say "we will use Open Office instead." So the "you can't get there from here" problems with LyX are creating a bother. Students tell me MS Word has a "hanging" option for paragraphs that makes this super simple. When I told them "we don't need that because real publishers don't do that" they turned up with several journals in which itemized lists and bibliographic entries are formatted in that way.

Have you tried using the "verse" paragraph type instead of "standard"?
It looks like your example above.  Perhaps a bit counterintuitive when you
aren't writing poetry, but it has a hanging indent and is very simple to use.

For lists, see if the paragraph type "labeling" might be useful. Here the indent
is adjustable thorugh paragraph settings.

If you really want a negative indent (first line of paragraph stick into the margin)
try setting the document to use indented text and put \parindent=-2em
in the document preamble.  (Or in an ERT box in the first paragraph you want
to be this way. In this case, make sure there is a space after the command.)

Helge Hafting
Helge Hafting