Andrei Popov wrote:
>> I  suspect  that  this  problem  comes  down  to  a question of
>> what encoding  is  seen  by  the GUI toolkit (ru_RU.cp1251 I
>> suppose)

> The  locale  is  ru_RU.cp1251,  and the keyboard layouts work via
> XKB, which, yes, allows to input in cp1251.

>> and  what  encoding  is  used  by  the  LyX document (depends on
>> the language settings in the Layout->>Document dialog.)

> Of  course,  the  doc  language  is  also  set to Russian
> (encoding to cp1251),  and  in  the  encodings file in my
> ~/.lyx I have also mapped Russian  to  cp1251, otherwise it
> wouldn't work

Then you've exhausted my limited knowledge on the subject. Sorry. You
might search the archives for "Kuba Ober". He's got things to work
with Cyrillic encodings in the past I believe.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=lyx-devel&w=2&r=1&s=Kuba+Ober

> (by the way, the value of  this  file  is not
> mentioned in the documentation anywhere, and it should, imho :)

>>> 1.  Do labels account as popups, and should the above settings
>>> have worked in principle? If not, how can I explicitly set the
>>> font used for labels?

>> You can't. I think that we don't do anything very clever when
>> taking the content from the LyX screen and passing it to the GUI
>> library that displays the string in a dialog.

> So I take it it's a LyX problem, not a toolkit-related one,
> and LyX is just  programmed this way, then?

Sort of. The problem is really that the frontend toolkits (at least Qt
and Gtk) are unicode-aware and LyX's core isn't yet. If it were then
all these encoding problems would just dissapear. Lars' big plan for
the 1.5 series is a unicoded LyX.

> Still, is it possible that the GTK frontend will be without this
> flaw?

<shrug>If someone were to write the clever code for the Gtk frontend,
then yes. Otherwise, it'll behave exactly like the other frontends in
this regard.<\shrug>

(All this presumes that I know what I'm talking about of course ;-))

>> Qt uses the external qconfig tool to control such things in a
>                     ^^^^^^^
>> consistent way for all Qt apps.
> qtconfig, probably?

Right. Probably.

>> I  don't  think it's much consolation, but I think that we've
>> always had problems mixing encodings like this.

> Well, thanks for the explanation, this problem is a bit annoying,
> but it's definitely not enough to put me away from LyX/LaTeX =))

> What  really _is_ annoying, is that I have a similar problem with
> ERT. This  time,  I  not  only see latin1-garbage in rectangular
> boxes that represent ERTs with Russian in it, I also can't see
> Russian when I try _inputting_  it  into  the box. It shows again
> as latin1. So I have to type blind and hope for the best.

Sorry, I don't understand. You input ERT on the LyX screen, no?
Oh, you mean in the preamble? (Layout->Documents dialog)

> Angus, maybe it's possible to set the font for ERT, again,
> explicitly?

> Or, would it be possible to easily patch LyX so that an encoding of
> my choice could be specified and hardcoded into labels and ERTs??

The best way to fix a problem is to fix it yourself. You're definitely
more of an expert in these things than I am. (Typically English: I
speak English badly and anything else not at all.)

> I'm no programmer at all, but if it's a matter of replacing
> "some_encoding" with "my_encoding" in some *.h file, I'd giev it a
> try, at least for the sake of ERTs.

Unfortunately, encoding stuff tends to be quite difficult to get
right.

--
Angus