[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> argh!! LyXWinInstaller requires admin privileges :/

No it doesn't. I regularly install at
   J:\Program Files\LyX
without problems. Installing to
   C:\Program Files
on WinXP certainly *does* require admin privileges.

> i managed to install it using the LyX 1.3.6 installer after
> installing minsys and python 2.3 (2.4 requires admin privileges :/)

Not our problsm then...

> i'll try to install miktex and gs tomorrow. once i've installed
> them, i can simply add the directories in the preferences and
> reconfigure?

What directories?

> another annoying thing is the dialog boxes used by winlyx to
> open/save files. it's old school drive:\dir and my work laptop has
> that weird setup for network syncing where my home directory is a
> network dir (\\server\...) synced locally as My Documents. since the
> widget doesnt recognize shortcut links i have no way to access my
> home directory.

<shrug>We use whatever the Qt toolkit gives us here I'm
afraid.<\shrug>

You might try http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/LyX137pre which fixes a
bunch of bugs in LyX 1.3.6. I've no idea whether that'd cure this
particular problem.

> concerning printing notes (previous message), i'll try to see if
> it's possible to create a new flagged environment like in latex...
> do i just use ERT or is there an nicer way to do it?

I think that the best you can do is either to add stuff like:

<ert>\begin{comment}<\ert>
your note contents.
<ert>\end{comment}<\ert>

to your LyX document, or to derive a new document class from
article.layout and to add a Comment environment that wraps your note
with the latex magic.

Angus