Hi Andrei,

> Henning, I think your problem is that the locale you're using is still
> unicode-based,  no  matter if its "de_DE" or [EMAIL PROTECTED] What you
> need  to  do  is  define  a  truly  latin-1  locale, that is smth like
> "de_DE.iso-8859-1"  (or similar), and then follow the advice above and
> do  $  LANG=de_DE.iso-8859-1  lyx.  Also,  check  that the document or
> character language is set to German, it'll help.

I think that's my problem.

> PS: I don't know about Gentoo, since I love my Debian (and it's been a
> while  since  I  ran  into any locale-specific problems :), but on the
> other  hand,  it  shouldn't  be  problem  for  you as a Gentoo user to
> compile  the  necessary  locale  from source, if it's not available in
> ebuilds =)

Maybe I should know that...:-S... I added «userlocales» to the USE-flags and
«de_DE.iso-8859-1/iso-8859-1» to /etc/locales.build - and recomplied glibc.
After that I entered:

        localedef -c -f iso-8859-1 -i de_DE de_DE.iso-8859-1

Now my «locale -a | grep de» gives following output:

        de_DE
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        de_DE.iso88591
        de_DE.utf8

Where are the dashes left?? But ok, so I enterd:

        LANG=de_DE.iso88591 lyx

(and also I tried:)

        LANG=de_DE.iso-8859-1 lyx

but I still have my problem :-(. Can you tell me, where I made a mistake?

Thanks, Henning