Thanks again to those of you who are helping me with this.

Herbert Voss wrote:

first do not use an extension for file names. The
graphic driver can detect the right extension.

It is a typical behaviour for ghostscript, that it thinks,
that your graphic should be rotated to get your vertical
text in a horizontal view. ghostscript is too clever here.

Try it by hand, export the lyx file as PosScript,
then run
ps2pdf --dAutoRotatePages=/None filename.ps

or alternatively with --dPrePress=/None

Herbert

Sounds like good intuition, and I tried it: but Lyx won't export the PostScript ("Cannot convert file" error). Same thing when I remove the .eps extension.

eps2eps on my .eps file gives me this error message:

Error: /typecheck in --.unread--
Operand stack:
   true   --nostringval--   true   0
Execution stack:
%interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- -- nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- -- nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push 1 3 %oparray_pop --nostringval-- 1 1 3 --nostringval-- % for_pos_int_continue --nostringval-- --nostringval-- -- nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:1009/1123(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:67/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
AFPL Ghostscript 7.04: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

Sorry, I'm dumbfounded, gobsmacked, out of my depth, etc. I just want to get my sweet little LyX working like she used to ... she was so good to me before.

-Richard

Richard Sherman
Department of Political Science, Leiden University
Leiden, Netherlands
http://homepage.mac.com/richard.sherman