On Nov 29, 2005, at 8:53 AM, Andrei Popov wrote:

Hello Stephen,

Try the mdwlist package. It gives easier control over spacing and other
options.
I have used it to define a new LyX environment so that it is available
directly from the pull-down menu.

Could you please share it? I think a lot of people could find that
useful.

I should have been a bit more specific...
mdwlists has predefined compact environments called itemize* enumerate* and description* which reduce the interline spacing from the normal LaTex defaults. To enable these in LyX I made a LyX layout file called mdwlists.inc (attached) and then added the line "Input mdwlists.inc" to the stdclass.inc file. The result is that itemize* enumerate* and description* show up in the LyX pull-down menu for environment. Another useful feature is that the numbering does not automatically reset when you stop an enumerate* environment.

mdwlists has many other features that you can access via ERT.