----- Original Message ----- From: "K. Elo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 2:19 AM
Subject: Re: [OT] PDF permissions

Hej på dig, Helge,

Helge Hafting, 2.12.2005 12:00:
K. Elo wrote:
>Without knowing it, you have helped me, too. A couple of day ago I
>received a pdf-formular from a company. After having opened it with
> my acoread 7.0 for linux I noticed that the printing was not
> possible, because the printing permission was diabled (very
> practical with a formular, indeed!). I contacted the company, but
> they haven't even heard about the permissions (because they use 6.0
> where the permissions are, AFAIK, simply ignored) and didn't know
> how to fix the formular.
>
>At this point, your mail arrived. I downloaded pdftrans and itext,
>installed them - and voilà!

On linux, use xpdf which couldn't care less about permissions.
I use it to copy/paste stuff out of pdf's that are protected against
copying with acrobat.

Yes, sure. But the problem was I had to fill in the form before printing
and you just cannot fill in forms with xpdf. You could imagine I was "a
little bit" unhappy, when I had filled in the form (with 3 pages) and
then figured out the printing permission was set to "not allowed".
There was absolutely no way to save the information already filled in.
*Grr*!

But anyway, thanks for your advice!

Cheers,
Kimmo

For Windows users, there is the intuitive, free PDFFill PDF Tools
http://www.pdfill.com/pdf_tools_free.html
Option #3, Encypt and Decrypt with Security Options, allows:

User Password
Owner Password

Encyption level
40 bit RC4
128 bit RC4

Security Options

Printing  (on or off)                     Fill In (on or off)
Modity Contents (on or off)        Screen Readers (on or off)
Copy (on or off)                         Assembly (on or off)
Modify Annotations (on or off)   Degraded Printing (on or off)

SH: It is the last option which reflects back to the OPs quest.

The best tool for Windows for annotation is Adobe Pro 7.0,
but it is expensive. Pro allows one to enable commenting for
th free Adobe Acrobat Reader, on the original document.
However, if you try to do any kind of conversion to the file,
then Reader will say the doc has lots its original permissions.
You can turn off annotation in the original doc so that Pro can
not later enable it using the Modify Annotations option above.

Jürgen Spitzmueller suggested in "Annotating documents" Aug04,2005

..."There are other free tools that can annotate PDFs directly, like the
Multivalent browser (http://multivalent.sourceforge.net/). On Windows,
the free eXpert PDF viewer can do it
(http://www.visagesoft.com/products/pdfreader/),
and OSX Tiger's preview also.

The question is what your collaborators are willing to install.
Acroread is quite of Standard, so the most pragmatic solution would
be to find a way to set the annotation permissions."

SH: eXpert PDF viewer works, but has limitations compared to Pro.
flpsed will work with postscript commenting.

WBR,
Stephen