[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

One of the examiners of my thesis decided that the figure
> and table captions were too small, so I was wondering what
> the best way of making them bigger. Currently they are the
> same font size as the text. If there is no easy way I will
> just spend the same time making up a reason that this is the
> appropriate size for captions.

Use the LaTeX-package "caption". In your case add for example the following line to your document preamble:

\usepackage[font=Large]{caption}

You can also set different fontsizes for the label and the caption text. More about this is in the caption manual chapter 3.3.

regards Uwe