----- Original Message ----- From: "Uwe Stöhr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 5:23 AM
Subject: Re: increase size of figure and table captions

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

One of the examiners of my thesis decided that the figure
> and table captions were too small, so I was wondering what
> the best way of making them bigger. Currently they are the
> same font size as the text. If there is no easy way I will
> just spend the same time making up a reason that this is the
> appropriate size for captions.

Use the LaTeX-package "caption". In your case add for example the following line to your document preamble:

\usepackage[font=Large]{caption}

You can also set different fontsizes for the label and the caption text. More about this is in the caption manual chapter 3.3.

regards Uwe

Since I'm not sure that this answer addresses making the figure larger, I
will mention \scalebox discussed in oldish "LaTeX Graphics Companion".

and http://www.ccrnp.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/latexforbeginners.html /Advanced

To make figures using LaTeX2e, before your \begin{document} put
\usepackage{graphics}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\usepackage{floatfig}
Then call the graphics directly like this:
\includegraphics*{fig/logowalker.ps}
or inside a figure:
\begin{figure}
\begin{center}
\scalebox
{0.9} % h_length
{
\includegraphics*{fig/logowalker.ps}
}
\end{center}
\caption{
The caption
}
\label{fig.logowalker}
\end{figure}
The wrapfig and floatfig packages are very cool - they let you wrap figures around text. Between paragaphs:
\begin{floatingfigure}{7 cm}
\scalebox{0.6}{
\includegraphics*[140,270][450,640]{fig/t7-wt-ex.ps}
}
\caption{Sequence logos for T7 promoters.
Top: wild type promoters \cite{Schneider1986};
bottom: strong T7 promoters found by an
\emph{in vivo} genetic screen \cite{Schneider1989}.
}
\noindent \hrulefill
\label{fig.t7-wt-ex}
\end{floatingfigure}
Wrap figure looks like this:
\begin{wrapfigure}{r}{12cm}
\begin{center}
\rotatebox{-90}{
\scalebox
{0.57} % h_length
{
% Note: the "*" makes the graphic be clipped - this is needed!!
% Guide to Latex p. 168
\includegraphics*[50,110][540,695]{fig/baseflipcover.ps}
}
}
\end{center}
\caption{-------------------------------------------http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/LaTeX/AoPS_L_PictMan.php
In this section we'll discuss how you can manipulate images in .ViewportSpacing Scaling - \scalebox{horizontal factor}[vertical factor]{item scaled}Resizing - \resizebox{horizontal factor}{vertical factor}{item resized}Rotating - \rotatebox{angle of rotation}{item rotated}Reflecting - \reflectbox{item reflected} Centering - \begin{center} centered items \end{center} ---------------------------------------------http://www.xfig.org/userman/latex_and_xfig.html1.. Get LaTeX to change the size of the picture, using either \scalebox or \resizebox. These are general functions for scaling text or pictures from the graphics package: A.\scalebox{factor}{object} Will scale the object by any factor. Factor is just a number (< 1 = reduction; > 1 = enlargement) Object is normally some text or graphics B.\scalebox{2}{ \input{file.pstex_t} } will scale the picture by 2, dependent on driver (.ps works, but xdvi wont). Scaling bitmap fonts may produce ugly results, so try and avoid them! C.\resizebox{width}{ht} {stuff} will resize "stuff" to be of size width x ht. Using "!" as an argument retains the aspect ratio of the box. eg \resizebox{5cm}{!}{fat cat} will make "fat cat" appear 5 cm wide, and suitably high. (From p129, Lamport)