K. Elo wrote:

yes,
\url is only valid with a \usepackage{url} that's all.

Well, can you then explain one thing to me: I have a 30-page scientific article written with LyX using the same test.bst I mailed to you. The preamble of this document is _empty_, i.e. no \usepackage{url} and there are several bibtex-entries in my .bib file containing just url={site}, not url={\url{site}}. The output of this document works perfectly, the urls in the bibliography are formatted as they should be when using e.g. Insert->URL (or Insert->ERT, \url{...}). According to your argument cited above, this should not work?!?!

while (true) {

-- read some documentation how LyX works
-- there is a LyX specific (invisible), a layout-specific (invisible)
   and a user specific (visible) preamble
-- If you use anything inside LyX (without ERT!), which needs
   the package url, then LyX inserts in its (invisible)
   preamble a \usepackage{url}. If you use a layout for
   a documentclass, which itself may have some preamble
   stuff, it is also insert by default.
}

export the LyX file to LaTeX and have a look, what LyX inserts
into its preamble.

Herbert