----- Original Message ----- From: "Bo Peng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Angus Leeming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>; <lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 9:01 PM
Subject: Re: [announce] sixth release of LyXWinInstaller

> My best guess, and it's just a guess, is that bibtex's being handed a
> path with spaces and choking on them.

I am not quite sure why miktex/bibtex can not handle a path with
spaces, whereas miktex/latex can. Anyway, if this is a problem that
[SH: I think it has to do with quoting.]
will be classified as WONTFIX, it would be better to warn the user
about this when a .bst file is selected in the bibtex dialog. If a
user is *allowed* to select and use a .bst file, and end up with no
bibliography in the output, his confidence in lyx will suffer.

Bo

The Miktex installation doc recommends installing Miktex into paths
and/or directories without spaces. LyX has a history of problems
with paths having spaces some passed on from Miktex.

http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/Windows/LyX136pre
Axel Rasche reported that spaces in the file path caused BibTeX to fail. The adopted solution copies the BibTeX data base to the temp directory, mangling its name in the process into something that's both recognizable to the user and useable by BibTeX. Note that this fix hasn't yet made it into the official sources.

http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/LyX/WindowsSetup LyX1.3.5
Install the programs above into folders that contain no spaces in the
name. Eg. C:\LyX

http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/Windows/LyX136

Although LyX swallows path and folder names with blanks (such as C:\Program Files\...) this is not necessarily true for the other programs, and it is recommended to install them in the default locations suggested by the programs, or in paths without blanks (such as C:\Programs\...), just to be on the safe side.

http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/Windows/LyX137pre
The Instant Preview script will now run successfully when the path to the Ghostscript executable contains spaces.

I think it is easier for the user to follow the Miktex recommended
policy and observe the LyX documented warnings rather than
follow MS conditioning which is aimed against *nix ported apps.

The mistake is making C:\Program files the default for LyX and
friends. Paths with spaces is an unneccessary and useless, aimed
at confining customers to MS products or products that pay MS for
licensing to the detriment of Open Source "free" software. I think
your suggestion boils down to giving warnings (not only for just .bst)
for deficiencies in other programs, inside the LyX program. I think
those type of warning belong in Readmes or install instructions.

Regards,
Stephen