On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, Kevin Pfeiffer wrote:

Have you looked at \multiput?
http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/teTeX/latex/latex2e-html/ltx-269.html

Kevin,

  I will take a look at it.

... but perhaps since you are working on something specialized you should
purchase one or two LaTeX reference books?

  Er, did you not see my references to the multido pdf, The LaTex Companion,
2nd Ed., Guide to LaTeX 4th Ed., and The LaTeX Graphics Companion that I
wrote I had used before asking for help?

Perhaps it's the wrong tool for the job. It seems to me that the picture
environment provides global positioning and the \put and multiput commands
offers the same thing locally. I've attached my sample file again, showing
multipart and also that one is not restricted to the boundaries of the
picture environment.

  I've used \put with PSTricks. That may be the way to go.

But as this all has little or nothing to do with LyX, perhaps we will soon
be \booted out of here? :-)

  Yes, I hesitated before posting here. There are a lot of LaTeX experts who
hang around here, too. Last evening I posted in comp.text.tex on Usenet, too.

  This is not the usual type of document with which we all deal. It seemed to
me, however, that the fine control offered by LaTeX made it the appropriate
tool to use.

Thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"