Kevin Pfeiffer wrote:

Hi all,

I just had to change several subsections to subsubsections. There were not enough of these to bother switching to search-and-replace in my text editor, but enough to make the process in LyX tedious. While doing this it occurred to me that the MS Word Format Painter (copy/paste format paintbrush) feature would be useful in a case like this for doing such things in LyX. Might this be possible in the newer 1.4? (Or even in 1.3.5?)
I know of no such feature in the upcoming 1.4.

I don't know how this "format painter" works, but here is something
I imagine could be useful:

* Mark the part of the document to be changed - possibly all
* Use a menu (or keypress) to change "heading level" up or down,
  similiar to how we already can change the "environment depth".

Such an action should have no effect on non-heading environments,
but change all headings up or down one level.  I.e. sections becomes
subsections, subsections becomes subsubsections and so on.

This could be very useful when one have a document with sections
(and subsections) and then find that it must be part of
something bigger, so the entire document have to become
a section of the bigger entity.
This should be easy enough to implement - lyx already know
which environments are "heading-type" environments, you
see that in the "navigate" menu.  Of course there is the
question of what to do about headings that cannot be
changed - there is no heading below s"ubparagraph" or
above "part", so structural information will be lost if the
user tries to change one of those.

Helge Hafting