Paul Smith wrote:

Suppose, Paul, that one wants to add a left-side vertical border only
to one cell (and not more than one) of the first column, then your
solution does not work, and no way is left to do that with LyX (up to
a ERT solution). Thus, I would classify it as a bug.

The way to add a left border to only one cell is to flag the cell as multicolumn (even though it occupies only one column) and then add the border. This should work ok in general. I don't know if it works when the cell is the upper left corner of your table. Specifically, I don't know if the added LaTeX argument then applies only to that cell, or what. I suppose experimentation will tell.

/Paul