David A. Case <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Have you also tried to build a cygwin version?  Since cygwin already suppies
> tex/latex/perl/python/sh/sed, etc., and since many people (like me) make
> extensive use of cygwin, having a cygwin package (that understands its
> posix-like paths) would be very valuable.

Hi Dave.

I also extensively make use of cygwin, but the last cygwin version I built
was 1.3.5. At that time I also had to compile Qt, but now I see that there
is a cygwin package for it. So, apart some minor gotchas, I think that
the procedure to build a cygwin version is not more than the usual
configure, make, make install route.

This would give you a X11 version, so you have to start XWin. It would be
interesting to build a cygwin Qt but with win32 gui. I saw that there is
a cygwin-g++-win32 target in the Qt sources that gives you exactly that,
but when I tried this option I had some problems with include files. If I
remember correctly, the problem was that some definitions were available
only in the includes brought in by the -mno-cygwin switch. I tried to move
the necessary mingw includes from /usr/include/mingw to /usr/local/include/mingw
and force their inclusion instead of the cygwin ones, but then I had some
clashing and eventually gave up.

I still think that with some tampering it could be done, but I don't see
it as necessary. After all, the cygwin programs understand both posix and
win32 paths. The only problem I had with a native LyX using cygwin tools
was that /usr/bin/python.exe is a symlink to the real executable
/usr/bin/python2.4.exe, and native programs don't understand cygwin symlinks.
See, for example,

This problem (and also similar ones) can be easily overcomed by using
batch files. If you put the following batch file:

$ cat python.bat
@echo off
python2.4 %*
exit

in LyX/bin, which is searched before all other dirs in the path, you're done.
(Replace "%*" with "%1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9" if you use something less
than win2k).

I am quite happy with a native LyX + cygwin.

--
Enrico