You should try Matplotlib under python. You've got a lot of the MATLAB
functionality re-implemented in python.
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

There is a sample sparsity diagram that I produced, see here (scroll
down to near the bottom)
https://pse.cheme.cmu.edu/wiki/view/Ascend/PythonWrapper

Using matplotlib you can also render directly to various formats
including SVG, I believe.

Hope that helps

JP

--
John Pye
School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering