Rich Shepard wrote:
  In my document I reference specific buttons on the GUI of an application;
buttons such as OK, Clear, Add, and Load. What I have done is place each word in a \framebox{}. It looks pretty ugly; the frames extend slightly below the
baseline and above the line of text.

Then I tried searching the symbol list, Google, and the TUG Tips and Tricks
web pages. Didn't find anything that looked like a solution.

  What do folks do in this situation? I suppose I could set the words in
Italics and let it go at that.

a gui has its own button images. Have a look into the
sources and then use one of the files, often of xpm or ppm format

Herbert