On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Nusret BALCI wrote:

Why are there different LaTeX flavors?

Nusret,

  I realize that I was asking a rhetorical question.

As far as I know, though, ConTeXt is not a LaTeX flavor. It's rather a peer
and rival macro package right on top of TeX. I've read claims about its
superiority to LaTeX (ease of use and package development, very active and
agile development, etc). To me, LaTeX, TeX, whatever, matters only because
of math capabilities, so I don't care much. But people apparently do :).

  You're correct that they are separate layers built on top of TeX; I did not
express myself clearly.

  I saw a potentially interesting article in the TUG on-line newsletter and
the author used ConTeXt; I think on Microsoft, not linux. But, I was curions
whether the same results could be obtained with LaTeX. At a fundamental level
I know the answer is "yes;" what I should have asked is how difficult it
would be to implement the concept in LaTeX.

Thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"