Jack M. Lyon writes:
> Helge Hafting wrote:
> > the index is normally _not_ for documenting
> > every occurence of some word.

> How about creating a real indexing feature for LyX

Yes, that would be great!

Because we were doing an "index of persons" and (for better or worse)
_wanted_ every mention included, I modified an existing scripts to
search through each time and add Idx tags for a list of about 50+
names.

In the few cases were we didn't do this, it was, one could say, "pure
hell," when an index entry needed to be changed; because of sorting
criteria, mothers' maiden names, etc., this happened more often than
one would imagine.

With my indexer, I only needed to update my list; by hand it meant
finding and editing/removing/updating every Idx occurrence of each
index entry.

> It's important for the indexer to be able to see and edit all index
> entries in the same place and at the same time rather than just have
> them spread througout the document--hence, the table.

Something similar to the already existing labels and references (or
bibliography) feature would be useful. You create an Index "label"
entry that is added to the Index master list; when you want to add an
Idx tag you select your Index label from the list (just like adding a
reference to a label). Then if the index entry changes (or is to not be
used), you only need to fix this once and not at every appearance.

Yes, cool.

-Kevin

--
Kevin Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>