----- Original Message ----- From: "Enrico Forestieri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: LyX on Cygwin

Stephen Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> The Pre5 doesn't have a configure file to execute
>> the several ./configure switches in Enrico's Howto.
> > Are you sure? The lyx-1.4.0pre5.tar.bz2 archive I downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.devel.lyx.org/pub/lyx/pre/ had one ...

Yes, I am sure that in both lyx-1.4.0pre5.tar.bz2 (or tar.gz)
there is no configure file. Nor is there an autogen.sh file
nor a configure.ac. All of those files are missing, the ones
you would normally expect to see in lyx-devel.

Just to be sure I have downloaded again
ftp://ftp.devel.lyx.org/pub/lyx/pre/lyx-1.4.0pre5.tar.bz2
and those files are there...

>  cd lyx-1.4.0pre5
>  ./autogen.sh

I don't see how it is possible to run this command as the files
are non-existent. The files can be found in the cvs lyx-devel
directory, but your instructions don't say to use cvs for obtaining installation files which don't come as bz2 or tar.gz
you say "Unpack lyx-1.4.x.tar.bz2 in /usr/local/src
>> >(replace x   ^ to match your archive name)"

But the files *are* there...
Anyway, things do not change with a cvs version, simply replace
"lyx-1.4.x" with "lyx-devel" ;-)

I've already had the experience of not being able to compile
the cvs files, but I was able to compile Lyx1.4.0pre3, so it is
by no means certain that one can just adapt your configure
switches to the current cvs files.

Try it, it should work.

Lyx1.4.0pre3 came with about 20 files not contained in
Lyx1.4.0pre5. Since you say the files were contained
"The lyx-1.4.0pre5.tar.bz2 archive I downloaded ... had one"

it seems that somebody has deleted files from lyx-1.4.0pre5.tar.bz2 and tar.gz for that matter and repackaged.
(no configure, configure.ac or autogen.sh plus many others)

I think that nobody did that ;-)
It may be a problem with the software you used to unpack the archive.
Try using the cygwin tools:

  cd /usr/local/src
  tar jxvf /path/to/lyx-1.4.0pre5.tar.bz2
or
  tar zxvf /path/to/lyx-1.4.0pre5.tar.gz

if you downloaded the .gz version.

The problem I reported remains just as murky,

Don't be desperate, try again. I am sure it is not so difficult.
Did you succeeded in compiling Qt?

--
Enrico

I unpacked the archives with WinRar which is supposed to work
but apparently didn't because using tar worked to display the files.

I did not succeed in compiling Qt. I got the files in the right
directory with cvs, but the ./configure failed quickly with the error

make: *** [project.o] Error 1
qmake failed to build. Aborting

Is this line correctly typed?
./configure -platform cygwin-g++-win32 -v -release -static
also I didn't put a backslash \, at the end of the continued
configure lines of switches, but that didn't seem to matter.

I am not motivated to put much effort into troubleshooting as I wanted to look at Pre5 now, but the final release is due soon.

Thanks for your advice,
Stephen