http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?
Welcome to the UK List of [locally searchable plus Google]
TeX Frequently Asked Questions on the Web

SH: But sometimes one doesn't know the correct search keyword.

http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/info/
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/info/visualFAQ/  by Scott Pakin
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/info/visualFAQ/visualFAQ.pdf

This is a 29 page visually oriented document which demonstrates many
early questions about How do I use Latex for such and such purpose.

One can scroll through the document and see features demonstrated
inside sections surrounded with a green boundary. If you click on the
link area you are transported to the UK list of TeX Frequently Asked
Questions which are opened in a web browser started from the pdf.

One can search the visualFAQ.pdf for a word like "margin" and see
if that matches the task you want to perform in a visual manner. And
if you don't know the keyword, one can browse the visualFAQ doc
till you see what you want to do. It is a fun toy!

I think that a fairly new version of Acrobat Reader is required. One
can have an alternate free pdf writer open (doesn't work quite as well
but still connects to the FaqLink) to use this reference and still keep
Acrobat Reader available to View a .lyx doc in .pdf. I used Foxit.

I was a bit amazed to see how many of the Latex questions re: LyX
which appeared recently, that are covered in this example document.
When in the flow of creation, this method is a first line of defence to the
interruption from writing of having to compose a question for the user
mailing list and then waiting for the (ever helpful) mailing list to respond.

A bit off the focus of this post, I'd like to commend Enrico Forestieri
for his great howto on building LyX140x on Cygwin especially since
the Mingw/Msys method is not currently viable. Even I could follow it.

Regards,
Stephen