----- Original Message ----- From: "Adinda Praditya" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 6:18 PM
Subject: Set line spacing

Hi list,

I'm running LyX-1.3.7 on windows version.I use it more often now than linux
version. The first problem i have using windows is when i set line spacing
to 1.5. I got this error

LaTeX Error: File `setspace.sty' not found.
\onehalfspacing

*** (cannot \read from terminal in nonstop modes)

Why this isn't found? Should i download ekstra package using "miktex
options"? If so, then why the file isn't budled with lyxWinInstaller?

Thanks,

Adinda P

From the documentation of setspace.sty

% one and a half spacing is 1.5 x pt size
\newenvironment{onehalfspace}{%
 \begingroup
   \onehalfspacing
}{%
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
}

ftp://cam.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/setspace/setspace.sty
C:\texmf\tex\latex\setspace\setspace.sty
Use Miktex Options to refresh the filename database (fndb)

I have this file because I did a total install of Miktex prior to installing
LyX. This comes to 307 megabytes. I think it's likely that LyXWinstaller
doesn't default to a total install of Miktex because the total package has
a lot of very infrequently used files. I know that the LyXWinInstaller
adds to a Miktex install if important files, which is probably based on
frequency of use by most people, is not installed. If no Miktex install is
discovered then it either does the {small?} or large install plus key files.

For the users as a collection there will always be some situation in which
a rarely used file is required for somebody, sometime. To solve this problem
for everyone, then a full install is needed which uses extra time. So the
decision to omit a particular package might be a mistake on the part of the
package bundler. Or a mistake on the estimation of the user on the
importance of the package.

But aside from that, the decision to require every user to install the full
(307mb) number of packages is not going to be the default of any installer.
Perhaps a feature to the installer could be added to install the total Miktex package. But no installer is going to psychically anticipate the needs of every user, in order to do many packages plus certain other personally desired ones.

Changing an installer takes time which subtracts from implementing other
features or projects. So there is a tradeoff in deciding whether to respond
to requests (or bug fixes) and using an easy workaround, get some file if
it becomes needed. Miktex comes with setup.exe which can upgrade your
entire install with all the packages so this problem won't arise again. If you
have doubts about doing this, that is the same reason why WinLyXInstaller
is not going to require a full package download by default which would
satisfy the future file needs of every user at the expense of using up time
from most users which does not satisfy their preferences.

That is the reason in general. Uwe may have a more specific reason to offer.

Regards,
Stephen