Julio Rojas wrote:
Thanx Paul.

Date in "LaTeX Configuration" doesn't appear, just "???", the same in
the book class. The book class appeared before making the first change
you told me to do (adding the viewer command). I undid the changes but
it remains "???" for the fields asked and the samen error presented.

The viewer changes are unrelated to this problem (so you can put them back). I believe you said in an earlier post that you reconfigured after making the viewer changes. That was unnecessary -- you just have to save the viewer changes -- but it appears that reconfiguration "ate" your configuration file.

I believe I'll have to reinstall LaTeX, don't I?

No. The problem is with the LyX configuration. Try running Edit->Reconfigure inside LyX (again) and see if the LaTeX configuration is corrected. I suppose it's possible that there was a one-time failure the last time you ran it. If that does not work, perhaps Bennett can steer you through a "manual" reconfiguration (running the configuration script outside LyX). I'm not a Mac user, so I'll defer to him there.

/Paul