----- Original Message ----- From: "Enrico Forestieri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 4:50 AM
Subject: Re: No VIEW->DVI in LyX Win32

Stephen Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]
SH: So it seems to be working. The good news is that lyx-x11 works
pretty well. It displays Tex Information whereas lyx-winbin does not.

This is quite strange, as both share the same user and system dir.
I think that this can happen only if you use tetex with lyx-x11 and
miktex with lyx-win. In this case you will see the TeX Information only
with the first one of the two you used for generating it. Try renaming
~/.lyx as ~/.lyx.save and then launch lyx-win asking for TeX Information.
I suspect that now you will see the TeX Information with lyx-win but not
with lyx-x11.

SH: It is odd, I moved /.lyx to another folder since Windows doesn't
allow renaming of directories to a .(dot prefix) with Windoes Explorer.

So I did get all of Tex Information displayed with lyx-win and lyx-x11!

[...]
lyx-x11 also uses xpdf and xdvi(k) Ok. A Postscript file seems to be
made and the correct output quickly flashes on the screen but then
quits with the error message: winMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler -
ERROR: BadWindow <invalid Window parameter>
I can use Windows ghostview, however.

Uhm... this seems to be a X protocol error. May be this URL is useful:
http://www.rahul.net/kenton/perrors.html

I installed gv and now I have postscript/gv, DVI/xdvi(k) and pdf/xpdf
all working. The only thing I've noticed not quite right in lyx-x11 is that
if I have a menu open like File, if I click on minimize ( - ) LyX minimizes
but leaves the File menu window open and hanging on the desktop.
Easy enough to get around by just clicking on the body of LyX which
closes the File menu drop-down and then minimize works as expected.

[...]
I can't use any Cygwin helper apps with lyx-winbin. They fail
with a 'can't open display' whether I have started Xwin or not.
I don't know if one of those batfiles written as a script would help.

This is because you have not set the DISPLAY variable. If you launch
lyx-winbin through its wrapper (lyx-win) everything should work if you
have Xwin running (lyx-win will not launch it, only lyx-x11 does)
because in this case /etc/lyxprofile gets read and there DISPLAY is set.
Try "setenv DISPLAY :0" if you use tcsh, or "export DISPLAY=':0'" if you
use bash, before launching lyx-winbin from the command line. You can
insert those setting in your $HOME/.tcshrc and $HOME/.bashrc,
respectively, such that you don't have to type them all the time.

Yes Indeed. It works from the command line. I was trying to start
lyx-win from a shortcut on the Desktop, which didn't work. But
the desktop shortcut to lyx-x11 does work.

Nor does lyx-1.3.7_win32_setup_v2 (which Chuck is using)
work with any Cygwin apps, with or without batfiles, with or
without startx for Cygwin. It works with Windows apps, as
expected, but what is the use of using Cygwin for LyX then?
I have them installed in C:\lyxcyg\bin

It works for me with lyx-1.3.7_win32_setup_v2. You should rather put them
in ~\LyX\bin or have C:\lyxcyg\bin as the first component of PATH prefix.

--
Enrico

I put C:\lyxcyg\bin as the first component of Path prefix. Also of Windows PATH. I also have C:\cygwin\bin;C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;
C:\Cygwin\usr\bin;C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin in the Path Prefix.
Also the batfiles are copied under C:\lyxcyg\bin
Under File formats I have listed absolute paths like C:\cygwin\bin\xpdf
I ran startx from the the bash shell. I used lyx.exe so I could see the
reports. It does seem like LyX is invoking all the Cygwin apps and
creating output files. But there is no display. And now Tex Information
fails to populate with lyx-1.3.7_win32_setup_v2.

I am making a mistake somewhere because the lyx-winbin works
and lyx-1.3.7_win32_setup_v2 works with Cygwin in two cases.
Anyway, lyx-x11 is working well which is my main concern. I hope that Chuck is able to benefit from your batfiles.
Regards,
Stephen