----- Original Message ----- From: "Jean-Marc Lasgouttes" <@inria.fr>
To: "Stephen Harris" <.net>
Cc: "Radwan JALAM" <-rennes.fr>; <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 3:29 AM
Subject: Re: Testing WinLyX1.4.0 with some patches applied

"Stephen" == Stephen Harris <stephen.p..net> writes:

Hello Stephen and Radwan,

Stephen> LyX has a tendency to work better in English, but I think
Stephen> that is not intentional and support for Unicode is scheduled
Stephen> for LyX1.5 or Lyx1.6 (one or the other is XML).

JMarc:
There are problem with non-english locales in windows, but we do not
yet have a good grasp on them.

SH: Apparently not. I was surprised to find that searching LyX bugzilla
produced  "Zarro Boogs found" with the keyword search of "locale".

Of couse there is mention of "locale" on the developer mailing list:
Re: Patch for cyrillic locale
-----------------------------------------------> Stephen> LyX1.4.0 was very recently released. It was frozen with about> Stephen> 70 fixes available but not applied. > > Make that 40 (keyword "patch"). And not all these patches are ready to> be applied.> I am getting older and forgot the correct number was 74 not 70. I didn't
see the followng post corrected though; I did enjoy your witty reply to chr.

Andre Poenitz wrote in Re: About bugs targeted at 1.4.1 (lyx-devel):

I don't like the current release policy at all. 74 bugs targeted for
1.4.1 means that 1.4 is simply not ready for release.

It seems that the majority of people subscribed to lyx-devel agrees with
you. But it does not seem to make any difference...

I'd rather apply the pending patches for the known issues right now in a
'pre6' (or 7?) and release 1.4.0 only when we are certain we've done as
much as could be expected.

And if that mean 'Christmas' so be it.

I don't think it would be Christmas.

Imagine we applied all available patches. What would be the worst case?
A few new bugs? Well, I wouldn't be afraid of them! Occasional crashes
are more acceptable than a change tracking feature that is unusable for
daily work.

Michael

Stephen> They should all be applied by the final release of 1.4.1.

Only 18 of these are targetted for 1.4.1.

JMarc

That corrects my misimpression that more than 18 patches are
needed to bring 1.4.1 up to the quality of 1.3.7 production, and
that Andre Poenitz provides reliable information. Not only did
he state (after the freeze) that there were 74 patches not 40, but
that those 74 were targeted for 1.4.1, which is far more than 18.

Thanks for clarifying this matter for us, (or is it just me?)

Stephen