Gabor,

Interesting,

Working in the Memoir class I could not make either \thispagestyle
{plain} or \thispagestyle{empty} work at the head of the document or in
the Author environment. On creating a DVI to view the outcome, the error
box told me that the  "Resulting file is empty. The operation resulted
in an empty file".

\thispagestyle{empty} did work in the abstract environment I that have
on the title page.

\thispagestyle{plain}, in the same environment worked in the sense that
it permitted generation of a DVI, but did not remove the page number.

Can you put another environment in your title page?

--
Bruce Ernest Weller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>