> > than
> > >
> > >    I used to use mgp, but that did not produce pdf files. Have you
> > looked at
> > > the OpenOffice.org presentation component?
> >
> > Thanks, Rich and Robert. I am looking for something to work together
> > with LyX. I suppose that powerdot fulfils that requirement, but not
> > sure whether it is as simple as I wish.
>
> You could look at the old slides package, or the prosper package....
> http://amath.colorado.edu/documentation/LaTeX/reference/slides/
> http://amath.colorado.edu/documentation/LaTeX/prosper/

Good point, Rich!

Thanks, Ingar. After having thought a bit deeper, I speculate whether
beamer can make presentations without all those beautiful ornaments; I
just want a white sheet to lay down my presentations. Am I right that
beamer can do that? If so, what would be the sty file to use?

Paul

I usually produce two versions of presentations using Beamer (and it's so easy with this tool!). One of them is "complicated" and colorful, etc. The other has a pretty plain white background and none of the navigation symbols. These [lack of] effects are accomplished by setting navigationsymbols to false and using the Copenhagen theme. Perhaps this could work for you. The relevant lines from the preamble are below (along with some others, the meaning of which I can't remember ( :) ) but things should work as long as they don't interfere with your own preamble.
  Good luck!
                         Curtis O.

%%%%%%%%% Start preamble excerpt %%%%%%%%%%

\documentclass{beamer}
\setbeamertemplate{navigationsymbols}{}

\usepackage{amsmath,amssymb}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{colortbl}
\usepackage[english]{babel}
\usepackage[absolute,overlay]{textpos}

\setlength{\TPHorizModule}{1.0cm}
\setlength{\TPVertModule}{\TPHorizModule}
\textblockorigin{0.0cm}{0.0cm}  %start all at upper left corner

\mode<handout>{

 \usetheme{Copenhagen}

}

\usepackage{times}

%%%%%%%%%% End preamble excerpt %%%%%%%%