Paul A. Rubin wrote:

Adam Soltan wrote:

I am trying to produce a kind of multicolumn text. It's about
comparing some figures for two different years. Each row is
giving the numbers for different variables. Something like
this (best viewed in monospace):

Variable 1    4711  1024
Variable 42     50    52

The point is to get the columns straight. Tables won't work
because the data takes more then one page. I've tried HFill
but, well, it doesn't do what I am looking for. And I would
prefer not to have to use the Typewriter font. Perhaps some
kind of Tab-function? (Yes, I've looked for something like
that and didn't find anything.) Any suggestions?

Regards,
/Adam Soltan

What about longtable? (http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/longtable.html)

Yes, longtable will work for this.  And lyx supports it too:

1. Insert a table directly into the document.  Don't use a float!
2. Bring up the table's dialog box.  One of the pages lets you
   check the "longtable" option. Now the table will break nicely
   over as many pages as needed!
3. If you want to, you can have table headers and/or footers that
   repeat automatically on every new page.  You may also have a
   first header and a final footer.  Put the cursor on the correct
   table line, then use the table dialog to turn it into a special
   longtable header/footer line.
4. The table dialog also let you do other useful stuff, such as
   setting columns to be centered or left or right justified, and
   turn tabular lines on and off. And you can have fixed-width
   columns if you like.

Helge Hafting