Declan O'Byrne wrote:

Hi all,

I'm not getting any hyphenation at all. The language is set to English, and
I've tried going from aspell to ispell, and to British etc. But to no
avail.
So, I started another document for the sole purposes of testing, and filled
it with some nonsense.  Only default options: the same problem again.
With your permission I include the latex logfile from the testing document.

Questions is: what's going wrong?
Thanks,

Looks like you're typesetting a document with no language:

Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for loaded.
Between "for" and "loaded", there should be at least one language,
i.e. the language you use.  Possibly more, if you install support
for several languages. Looks like your latex doesn't support hyphenation
at all - probably because it isn't installed or misconfigured.

0 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
Very little hyphenation data here . . .

I use debian, but it is supposed to be similiar to ubuntu.
Try running texconfig, check out the hyphenation menu.
It could be as simple as enabling support for your language.

If you have to look for packages, consider:
apt-cache search latexh hyphen

If you're using texlive, install the correct texlive-lang-<language>
package. If you're using tetex, then tetex-base should be enough.

The only thing you do in lyx, is to select the correct language.
Then latex is supposed to do the rest.  If you get tired of
setting the language all the time, set it as default.

Helge Hafting