Kenward Vaughan wrote:

> After some kind help from Micha and Charles, I have 1.4.1 running
> apparently smoothly (the screen still appears a bit sluggish, which I
> recall seeing in other posts about 1.4.1--but that's not an issue for
> me yet... ;-).  An important problem I immediately encountered involves
> the way it interprets the enumeration environment in older files.
>
> What happens in my exams is an apparent reset of the counter after any
> deliberate page break.  As a chunk of my exams includes  several pages
> of m/c questions, this is a real problem.  I have included a gutted
> example exam which shows this behavior.

Your problem comes from the fact that the enumerate format in a LyX file
does not map very well the enumerate environment in LaTeX and that LyX has
to guess where it must close the enumerate environment. The manual newpages
that you have inserted trick the LyX algorithm in a subtle different way
than in LyX 1.3.6

Two solutions :
 - Delete and reinsert the manual newpages, it could trick back LyX in your
desired behavior
 - Export to LaTeX and suppress the extra \end{enumerate} \begin{enumerate}

Users have a lot of problems with enumerations in LyX. I think there is a
need to a more powerful interface (maybe with all the features of mdwlist)
with a finer control of setting and resetting enumeration numbers.

Cheers,
Charles
--
http://www.kde-france.org