Uwe Stöhr wrote:
Georg Baum schrieb:

No, you don't need admin privileges to _read_ registry entries, we need
to _write_ some, for example the global PATH variable for Imagemagick.

??? I thought that the path_prefix rc value was invented to overcome this
problem, so setting a global PATH is not needed?

Yes this was the reason. But as I wrote, LyX istself don't need admin privileges. I need to write some to install aspell, python, imagemagick, and GSview. For GSview and aspell admin privileges are needed to register the programs to Windows sofware list, so that you can deinstall them like any other Windows program. Note that my installer includes the official GSview installer that is started when it is needed. Like for most Windows programs also the installer of GSview requires admin privileges. So I can't understand the problematic of the adminn privileges: Try for example to install Ghostscript, or Inkscape with their official installers - they all need admin privileges.

regards Uwe

I am beginning to think admin rights is inevitable. I tried to
install gimp as a non-admin; not only gimp object to my privilege
status, it wanted me to reinstall Winzip since Winzip had not been
installed as administrator.

I remembered having installed a working collection of LyX helper
appd, and I found my notes. Ghostscript requiring admin rights
is fairly recent. gs8.14 works and the matching gsview version.

But although they don't write to the registry, the files work.
Since they don't write to the registry, one can delete them
by right-clicking in Windows Explorer and deleting the folder.
ImageMagick requires Admin rights, but IrfanView installs with
no admin privilege (though not quite as good). Likewise, Aspell
installs with complaints about not writing to the registry
which one can "ignore" and proceed. Other apps can be installed
"for just this user" and will work ok.

There are many older computers in the home environment which
have win98 installed and can't be upgraded to winxp because
of bios/harddrive or memory limitations (expense). These
are still nice platforms (old laptops) for LyX running win98
installed without the admin privileges which LyXWinInstaller
doesn't support. The Angus LyX137 installer already supports
win98 (though I would like to see tex2lyx rather than relyx).
LyX doesn't enjoy much corporate use. Which leaves educational
workplaces with some admin-rights users and home/small business
office with mostly admin-rights users.

Though I don't like LyX forcing admin rights for users in
principle, the helper apps are joining the trend to force
admin rights so will probably sweep LyX along in the tide.
Installing LyX without admin-rights when the helper apps
already exist on the network will probably be a casualty.

Regards,
Stephen