Ben Outram wrote:

I'm having trouble using document classes in Lyx. I create a new document and
then go to the document settings. The only classes which are available for
selection from the drop down list are article, book, letter, and report. The
others are marked as unavailable e.g. 'Unavailable: broadway'.

Some classes like broadway are LyX specific and are automatically installed when you use this installer:
http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/LyXWinInstaller

To get other classes installed, use also the installer I suggested but assure that you have an open internet connection when you install LyX. The reason is that MiKTeX is often only installed with standard packages. When LyX is configures it requests MiKTeX to install classes it is supporting and MiKTeX will install them when there's an internet connection.

regards Uwe