Peter Pakulski wrote:
Hi,

I've just installed Lyx for the first time on this machine, using the installer from:
http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/LyXWinInstaller
for Lyx 1.4.1

Both before and after installing the Aspell language pack (for English), Spell-checking is greyed-out in Tools->Preferences->Spellchecker.

This is normal. That control is used to select a spell-checker, but the Windows version is hard-coded to use Aspell, and the option to select anything else is greyed-out.

I've tried a few of workarounds: - Adding paths to the Path Prefix (C:\Aspell, C:\Aspell\lib, C:\Aspell\lib\aspell-0.60)

This should be unnecessary, since Aspell *must* be installed in C:\Aspell.

- Changing lyxrc.defaults manually ('\spell_command aspell' and '\spell_command "aspell"')

Also unnecessary, as the Windows version knows that it's Aspell (in C:\Aspell) or nothing.

- Uninstalling Aspell and reinstalling from a seperate installer (AspellData-0.60.4.exe) and yes, I've been choosing "reconfigure" after every change and restarted Lyx.

In any configuration, spell checking works on long documents with headings etc..., but will not work for short documents (a few sentences only), sometimes (I haven't figured out what the conditions are) it will highlight a word but not open the spellchecking window. It always skips the first misspelled word in the document.

This is a known bug. If there is only one misspelled word, it will highlight that word but not open the dialog to correct it (giving the word count instead). If there are two or more misspelled words, it will highlight the second and open the correction dialog.

Even though the default language is set to British, it complains about "colour", and tries to put 'z's in words like "Realise" (Is this a known Aspell issue?). Again reiterating - it seems to be completely unavailable from the preferences menu.

Did you install a British (v. American) dictionary?

I'm a little unsure of the fact that C:/Aspell contains only the uninstaller executable and the "lib" directory - shouldn't some other files belong in there?

There's a readme file, and your personal dictionary (words you've added) goes there. Pretty much everything else lives in subdirectories.

The Lib directory contains nothing but the "aspell-0.60" directory. Only in C:\Aspell\lib\aspell-0.60 do all the files and dictionary files exist. This is as per all the default options. I've tried copying and moving the files up and down the hierarchy, but not necessarily for every combination of the things I've tried above.

This is the correct structure.

It's driving me absolutely nuts. Anyone have a guess at what might be wrong?

Other than the known bug of skipping the first misspelled word, I suspect it's working properly, but possibly with the wrong dictionary.

/Paul