I cannot say that I understand what LyX does with the preferences file exactly, because the installer appears to copy the preferences on its own during the installation process. But it isn't clear which preferences file it copies. After poking around my hard drive, I realized that I now have at least *three* LyX preferences files: one in Library/Application Support/LyX (original 1.3.7 file), one in / Library/Application Support/LyX-1.4 (contents identical to the first one, from what I can see), and in Applications/LyX.app/Contents/ Resources (different contents). The directory LyX-1.4 was installed by LyX 1.4.1, and the directory LyX (inside Lib/App Support) is leftover from LyX 1.3.7, apparently unchanged by the upgrade.

Everything righted itself after I deleted the second file, Library/ Application Support/LyX-1.4.

I am attaching all three files for your perusal.

Maria