Stephen Harris wrote:
Very well done! It has been a most excellent adventure.
I learned something about what dv2dt.exe and dt2dt.exe
do to earn their keep.

PS: Nevertheless I'll try the new_msys-1.0.dll too and
give you a feedback on that matter.

I have made an msys installation and copied the new-msys-1.0.dll to that installation and renamed it to mysy-1.0.dll.
Then I added the msys directory to the PATH and reconfigured LyX.
I had no more problems to run the script and the LyX installtion works fine without cygwin too.

You will need the msys sh.exe (sed.exe) too and
temporarily take Cygwin out of the path and put the
directory with the msys file into the path. I think
you may be right about the configuration only having
been partially completed because if you have ghostscript
and gsview installed, the installation should find
gsview as your postscript viewer (Cygwin has gv) and did
Tools->Tex Information populate with all the .cls files?
My LyX will many class files and if you click on
show path, next to latex classes, it will report
...\texmf if you used the default for Miktex.
Yes, I see there a long list of cls files all of them with the correct paths.

If your install of LyX doesn't display those .cls
files then getting msys to work becomes more important,
because it is possible the .cls files won't be available
for your LyX document. From my lyxrc

\path_prefix "C:\msys\1.0\bin;C:\Python24;C:\texmf\miktex\bin;
C:\gs\gs8.51\bin;C:\ImageMagick"
There is an interesting thing, all these Paths point to C: and not to the correct directories, nevertheless Acrobat and Yap are starteed witout problems. Why this ?

The place to edit Path prefix is under Tools->Preferences
->Paths  click on it with the mouse to select Paths
The Path prefix is to the right of this and should have
C:\texmf\miktex\bin; Only substitute your drive letter
P:? and your installation directory for texmf\miktex\bin
When you edit this, then Apply and Save become active,
and you should Save the change if you need to append
Miktex to your Path prefix statement. This works just as
well as adding to the Windows path statement. I mention
this in case your Tex Information doesn't populate and
display all your .cls files. Let me know.

Regards,
Stephen

All the things I mentioned above, I did with the admin account.
The first test as normal user leads to the next problems.
- I cannot start Acrobat - there is no corresponding entry in the properties. IMHO the entries in lyxrc.defaults shopuld be available for all users ? - And even if I enter acrobat ther and set the paths as you explainde, Acrobat is still not started. But the export ist done correctly.

But - success, success - clicking the DVI icon opens yap showing the file formatted.
And I can list all the cls files with correct paths too.

I think there is another problem, viewing the docu (formatted) as normal user, as lyx (or who ever) tries to save the intermediate file in Resouurce/docs where only admin has write access.

--
Gerhard