LyX developers already try to make the menus easier and
toolbars more available for _all_ users. I don't think Rich resents
making things easier, but the completely ignorant notion that making
Lyx menus more like Word menus would accomplish such a goal. ERTs
will be the area where there is the least overlap, and Lyx is needed
for areas which are not for the average user, it is more specialized:

Just my 2 cents: The LyX toolbars should be not repeats Word's mistakes
but include nice equation editing feature like SWP or Mathtype which are currently "hidden" in the math panel (which either costs me half my screen or has to be activated every time). Practical math toolbars would really be a MAJOR improvement.

How difficult would it be to move the Math Panel into the toolbar?

-Jan