1) I don't know (and forget when I do know) all the shortcuts for various
lines, heading levels and the like.

Hmm, ok I see. When it comes to remembering the markup, have you ever noticed the icons just below the edit area? See here for instance

        http://wiki.lyx.org/Playground/TestBox?action=edit

The icons are just below the text "Editing Playground.TestBox". Do you think these help, or are they just confusing?

I would also like to know what you think about the help text below the edit field. Is it too much information, so it is just confusing? Maybe it should only contain some of the really common markup?

I think the PmWiki documentation page is very good (http:// wiki.lyx.org/PmWiki/DocumentationIndex), especially the Beginner Topics area. I keep it open as a separate tab in my browser whenever I edit. Initially, though, I learned by simply hitting "Edit" on pages that had the stuff I wanted to do to see how they did it.

Moreover, one nice thing about the Wiki pages is that, even if you don't include much special formatting, there are always people around who can add it later!

BUT, I also think that some of our LyX Wiki pages, while excellent, sometimes contain a lot of extra formatting, like red and green text, which is not necessary (strictly speaking). This is not a bad thing, since it makes the pages beautiful and easy to read, but it also not essential. I can see how that would be intimidating...

Eh... I'd probably answer GPL, but I have no real clue. This question also concerns anything you simply write on the wiki. Here's the relevant text that I put on the wiki a long time ago
        http://wiki.lyx.org/Site/Copyrights

Not sure that it helps though, and maybe it needs to be expanded?

Wikipedia.org has the following page linked from every single entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Wikipedia:Text_of_the_GNU_Free_Documentation_License

Is there a way to modify all of the wiki pages so that they link the copyrights page you mention?

Maria