What you put in the title environment becomes a \title command. (See the
stdtitle.inc file: The LatexType for Title is: Command.) So you end up
with \title{Whatever} in the LaTeX file. This seems to do little more
than set [EMAIL PROTECTED] to whatever, and then that variable is used in
\maketitle.

Richard