Hi all,

After Richard Heck talked about LatexType=Command in the LyX Title environment
thread, I started experimenting and got it to work. I have a LyX and LaTeX
breakout environment (breakout is the name of the environment) which prints
in a shaded box, with a label. However, the label isn't hard coded, but
instead is contained in a variable called breakoutstring.

I had previously been setting breakoutstring with ERT before the section of
breakout environment, but I don't like ERT. So, taking Richard Heck's advice,
I made a BreakoutTitle LyX environment whose LatexType is command, and whose
LatexName is setBreakoutstring. setBreakoutstring is simply a LaTeX (actually
TeX) command to set the variable breakoutstring:

\def\setBreakoutstring#1{\def\breakoutstring{#1}}

I tried first to do it with \newcommand, but couldn't get it to compile. If
anyone can show me how, please do.

Anyway, the following is the code for BreakoutTitle:

# Breakout title style definition
Style BreakoutTitle
  Margin                Static
  LatexType             Command
  InTitle               1
  LatexName             setBreakoutstring
  ParSkip               0.4
  ItemSep               0
  TopSep                1
  BottomSep             0.0
  ParSep                1
  Align                 Center
  AlignPossible         Center
  LabelType             No_Label

  # standard font definition
  Font
    Size                Large
  EndFont

Preamble
        \def\setBreakoutstring#1{\def\breakoutstring{#1}}
EndPreamble

End

And in case anyone wants to see it, here's the code for Breakout:

# ### Labeled shadowed box for Breakouts ###
Style Breakout
  LatexType             Environment
  LatexName             breakout_l

  AlignPossible         Left
  LeftMargin            "MMMMM"
  RightMargin           "MMMMM"
  ParSkip               0.7
  ParSep                0.7
  TopSep                0.7
  BottomSep             0.7

  Font
  EndFont
  Preamble
    \newenvironment{breakout_l}{\begin{shadowbox}{\breakoutstring}}
{\end{shadowbox}}%
  EndPreamble
End

In the preceding, shadowbox is just a home grown LaTeX environment to put the
text in shading, and bring its borders in.

Obviously, now that I've done this, doing subtitles with an environment
instead of ERT is pretty easy. Hope some of you can use this.

Richard -- thanks for the tip. I've been trying to do this since 2001.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
   * Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm