Steve Litt wrote:
Hi all,

In several places in my latest book I need to insert tab indented outlines. Here's an example:

Whole program
        Initialize
                Open input file for read
                Open output file for write
        Copy
                loop
                        Read input record
                        Copy to output buffer
                        Translate characters
                        Write output record
        Finalize
                Close input file
                Close output file
                Print ending message

How do I do that in LyX in such a way that I don't get too much space between lines, and it's obvious that this outline is a think in itself and not just part of the flow of the document?

I don't know if there's a slick way of doing it, but the attached example seems to get the desired end result (albeit with a high degree of tedium). You can experiment with the \setlength commands in the preamble to adjust the spacing (see, for instance, http://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/teTeX/latex/latex2e-html/ltx-260.html for a list of lengths you can play with). If you're doing this often enough, it might be worth modifying a layout to include the new list environment.

HTH,
/Paul