Steve, you are correct that the layout file is *not* required to be GPL.

The BSD license is at http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php

NOTE that it is MUCH shorter (and thus more likely to be read!) than
the GPL. Plus, with the GPL, we have the consideration as to *which*
GPL? There is a new one that is somewhat controversial, as you may
know.

Another excellent one is the MIT license:
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

David