When I'm doing close editing, I "View DVI" and switch back and forth
between the DVI viewer and LyX. LyX now has a feature that allows you
the DVI viewer effectively to inform LyX what you want to edit, and LyX
will then go there automatically. I've not used that yet, however, as I
can always just search for a relevant phrase, and that works for me.