On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Peter Bowyer wrote:

Hi,

I am one of the people who cannot finds editing documents hard on screen - I end up printing a copy and then working through it with a pen, making changes and restructuring, and then typing the changes up.

Me too... I've always wondered if a tablet computer would help here.

<snip>
Now I know that people have been writing documents this way for much longer than word processors have been around, (think of raw TeX) which suggests it's a problem with my approach. Do you have any tips or suggestions for making the editing process smoother?

Have you tried the "reverse search", or "inverse search" or something like that? I think there may now be a way to click inside a DVI and get LyX to position the cursor at the corresponding position in the document.

Someone else should now if this is available now (and what it is actually called...)

/Christian

PS It seems availabale on Mac, look for "reverse DVI search" on this page
        http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyXOnMac