On Thursday 22 June 2006 07:22 am, Helge Hafting wrote:
> Jeremy Wells wrote:
> > For some time I have been evaluating Lyx as an academic word
> > processor, but find it wanting in a few critical areas.
> >
> > For instance, the stated goal of Lyx is to spend more time writing,
> > but less time on formatting. Based on my experience, however, and from
> > posts to this list, a great deal of time is spent inserting LaTeX tags
> > into documents.
>
> It certainly seems like that, when reading this list.  For inserting latex
> tags is the one operation that people really need help with.
> The many people who just write and don't use latex tags, don't post much
> questions either.

I think what most people need help with is creating layouts. Few people insert
LaTeX inline into the document. There's a reason it's called EVIL Red Text.

> > In fact, my assessment is that more time is spent making Lyx work
> > properly than is spent in dealing with a traditional word-processing
> > environment, be it MS Word or OpenOffice. Moreover, a significant time
> > investment is required to research the format of the tag and where to
> > insert it, and then to debug the results. How does this save time?
>
> You write lots of documents, all with different and very specific layout
> needs?
> Then you might need a writing tool more oriented towards layout tweaking.
> Lyx may not be the tool if every new document needs a radically different
> layout.

That isn't how it works for me. For me, LyX is good even if every book has a
different layout file. Every one of my books has a different layout, because
every one has a slightly different intended audience. Yet, every document is
consistent *within itself*. If it takes 3 months to write a book and you need
to spend 1 solid week making the layout, is that one week really all that
significant?

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
   * Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm