Andrew> Thanks, Paul. The additions work to number exercises within
Andrew> sections. I still find one strange thing: I cannot have one
Andrew> exercise directly following another. Lyx want to make them be
Andrew> one combined exercise. I found the obvious workabound of
Andrew> putting a standard paragraph in between with non-breaking
Andrew> space, but that throws off the spacing. I also found that if I
Andrew> nest each successive problem one more level, I get
Andrew> consecutively numbered exercises and everything looks fine! I
Andrew> guess that works as long as I do not want numbered lists
Andrew> within the problems Isn't there something more direct?

Try to put a note inset instead of a protected blank. This should
avoid the problem with spacing.

And yes, your problem is a long standing known bug.

JMarc