Rich Shepard wrote:
>    I have a widow line: the last line of a paragraph that is the first line
> on the following page; it's actually the last line of the report chapter,
> which makes it look worse.
>
>    I _thought_ there was a macro to extend the page, but I cannot find a
> reference to it.

\enlargethispage

> Nothing in TLC2 that helps. Google found a page from
> Purdue University (where all the chickens go before the end up in the
> supermarket) that suggested using \widowpenalty=450. I put that in the
> preamble, but there's no joy yet.
>
>    Please pass me a clue stick on how to fix this. It does come up now and
> then and I do need to take care of the instances.

http://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/Using#toc7

Personally, I always use this:

\tolerance 1414
\hbadness 1414
\emergencystretch 1.5em
\hfuzz 0.3pt
\widowpenalty = 10000
\vfuzz \hfuzz
\raggedbottom

But depending on the situation, there can still be widow lines. For that cases
I use the macro

\def\condbreak#1{%
\vskip 0pt plus #1\pagebreak[3]\vskip 0pt plus -#1\relax}

So in the document, I can use for instance
\condbreak{2\baselineskip}
to assure that there have to follow at least 2 lines after a given position,
else a pagebreak will be inserted.

HTH,
Jürgen